mardi 17 novembre 2015

My sport, my passion : Judo

I want to start this article with an introduction of the judo history and understand how judo born.

Judo is a martial art that was born in Japan, and it is now know around the world as an Olympic sport. Judo was established in 1882 by combining jujitsu, a form of wrestling, with mental discipline. From the twelfth to the nineteenth century, Japan was ruled by the samurai, a class of professional soldiers. This provided fertile ground for various martial arts to develop. In addition to fighting with swords and bows and arrows, the samurai developed jujitsu to fight enemies at close quarters on the battlefield. Several different styles of jujitsu evolved, and hand-to-hand combat spread as an important form of military training.
Jujitsu fell into decline, but the enthusiasm of one young man rescued it from extinction. That man was Jigoro Kano, the founder of judo as we know it today. In May 1882, when he was just 21 years old, he took the best things about each jujitsu style and created a single new school. This was the birth of modern judo. 
Kano went to Europe in 1889 to introduce judo outside of Japan. A famous episode occurred abroad a ship during his voyage. When a foreigner made fun of Kano, he threw the man down but put his hand under the man's head to prevent him from getting hurt. This illustrated how judo combined practical fighting techniques with throughtfulness for one's enemy. Kano always maintained a global point of view, serving as a member of the International Olympic Committee, and worked tirelessly to spread judo around the world.
Kano's dream came true at the Tokyo Olympics in 1964, where men's judo was recognized as an Olympic event. Medals were awarded to competitors in various weight divisions, and Japanese competitors swept the gold in all except the open division, where a non-Japanese champion was crowned. This was a sign that judo had already taken root in countries outside Japan. Judo is particularly popular in Europe. In fact, many more people in France practice judo than in Japan.


See original image






I started judo when I was 6, so I practice this sport since fifteen years, and I never stopped. My parents and me chose this sport because it would allow me to unwind. But finally, it have done much more than that. This sport helped me to my education. It convey a moral code with values that I possess now : politeness, courage, sincerity, honor, modesty, respect, self-control, and friendship.

After some regional and national competitions, today, I am black belt since 2011, and pratice judo at Vic-le-Comte to have fun and to see my best friends who practice judo too. When I don't pratice, I participate in the regional and national refereeing.
Now, I want to particpate in the life of my club, bring my experiences, my ideas, and this is why I became a member of the Board of the club.

And you, what sport do you do ? What is your commitment in it ? What does it give back to you ? 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire